Currant Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 cup finely diced apple (approx. 1 medium apple)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter, cooled
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar, or rapadura sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line two trays with baking paper.
- Combine oats, flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Add diced apples and toss to coat.
- In a large jug, whisk together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir well.
- Scoop heaped tablespoons of dough onto lined trays, leaving 2 cm between cookies. Flatten tops slightly.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes until golden on the edges. Cool on trays 1 minute, then move to a rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Butter can be replaced with 1/2 cup olive oil, note that the cookies will be slightly softer the next day.
- Cookies are just crisp on the edges and soft on the inside.