Festive Caramelised Onions
- 50 g butter
- 7 brown onion thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 80 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 2 garlic clove crushed
- 3 star anise
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- Sea salt
- 2 small glass jar
- Sterilise the jars by thoroughly washing with soap and water then placing in a pre-heated oven at 120°C for 15 minutes.
- Add the butter to a large fry pan on medium heat. Once the butter has melted add the thinly sliced brown onions.
- Sauté the onions down until they become transparent, add the crushed garlic.
- Add the red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar and stir through followed by adding the brown sugar, whole grain mustard, mustard seeds and star anise.
- Turn the heat down and allow to simmer for 12-15 minutes or until the liquids have reduced to a sticky sauce. Add a good pinch of sea salt.
- Spoon the hot relish into the pre sterilised jars and place the lid on. Allow to cool down on the bench followed by placing in the fridge.