For the cake mix
- Using a medium large bowl mix the flour, baking soda and powder, salt, sugar and cinnamon with a whisk or spoon.
- In another bowl mix the oil, milk, egg and vanilla and whisk
- Dice the apples setting aside the ½ apple sliced into 8 for the top of the cake along with the walnut pieces you have saved.
- Pour the liquid, diced apples and nuts into the flour mixture and mix with a spoon till smooth and well combined.
- Pour into the prepared springform tin. Put the sliced apple on top of the cake in a circle and add the walnuts. Put into the oven and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Pop back into the oven for another 10 minutes if it needs a little longer.
- Leave on a rack to cool for 10 minutes then run a knife around the tin and remove the sides.
For the simple honey glaze
- Put the honey into a tiny bowl with the water and microwave for 30 seconds or until just simmering.
- Paint onto the top of the apples and nuts to finish.