Brown Rice Paella
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 300 g quick-cook brown rice
- 4 sausages your choice (ask the butcher for gluten-free)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 500 - 700 ml vegetable or chicken broth/stock
- 30 ml white wine (optional)
- 1 red capsicum deseeded and chopped
- cup of baby spinach
- Handful of peas frozen is fine
- 1/4 bunch parsley roughly chopped (optional)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- In a fry pan cook the sausages, turning often until browned and cooked through. Set aside and cut into 1 - 2 cm discs.
- In a large oven proof dish heat the oil on a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the spices and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the wine and allow the alcohol to burn off before adding the rice and stirring for 1 - 2 minutes to absorb the spices and onions etc.
- Add the capsicum then pour in the broth.
- Pop the lid on and bring to the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and stir often for 15 minutes.
- Add the peas and sausage – stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat once at desired consistency.
- Stir in the baby spinach and parsley. Season.